The Medina Quarry
Vulcan Materials Company operates the Medina Quarry, a 1,700-acre fully permitted and operational limestone quarry with 500 acres of buffer zone, natural landscape and wildlife habitat conservation areas. It is one of three quarries Vulcan operates in Medina County, Texas, along with the Geronimo Creek and Mico quarries. With a rich history of rock quarries tracing back more than 100 years, Medina County is home to a natural abundance of high-quality limestone, which is superior in its durability and utility for construction projects.
As the U.S. economy recovers and given the underlying strength of the Texas economy, Vulcan Materials Company is poised to further invest in the Medina Quarry to build a state-of-the-art facility. Leveraging the County’s unique access to transportation infrastructure, including Union Pacific Railroad and U.S. Route 90, The Medina Quarry is strategically located to serve the growing Texas economy.
VULCAN MATERIALS COMPANY
We are committed to investing in Medina County by creating and supporting jobs and economic opportunity, while operating in a safe, reliable, and environmentally responsible manner.
Our crushed stone helps fuel and sustain communities
Vulcan Materials Company is the nation’s largest producer of construction aggregates and a major producer of aggregates-based construction materials. An industry leader in safety, health, and environmental stewardship, Vulcan’s coast-to-coast footprint aligns with and serves the nation’s growth centers. Through the company’s extensive logistics network, Vulcan provides materials to build and repair valuable infrastructure such as roads, bridges, residential and commercial buildings, schools, hospitals and places of worship. Learn more at www.vulcanmaterials.com.
Fueling Jobs & Opportunity in Medina County
The Medina Quarry is a major economic engine for the County and surrounding region, creating and supporting local jobs and families.
The investment will create approximately 150 construction jobs over the 2-year construction phase and approximately 50 full-time jobs with average annual compensation of $60,000 including benefits. The quarry will generate millions of dollars in tax revenue for vital County government services, including road construction and maintenance, schools, and public safety.
The Medina Quarry produces construction materials that lower construction and maintenance costs for local governments, schools, employers, and residents.
A RESPONSIBLE STEWARD OF THE ENVIRONMENT
Through many decades of business operation, Vulcan has established a strong record of environmental stewardship and will operate The Medina Quarry in an environmentally responsible manner that meets or exceeds regulations and guidelines established by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), the Edwards Aquifer Authority, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and other regulatory bodies.
- Maintain landscaped and vegetated buffers to screen the facility
- Preserve wildlife habitat areas
- Recycle water used on site
- Utilize state-of-the-art dust control measures
- Transport product primarily by rail, significantly reducing 18-wheeler truck traffic
- Partner with local schools and community organizations
STRENGTHENING OUR COMMUNITY
We are committed to serving as a responsible neighbor and building meaningful and lasting relationships with the community through involvement in schools and a variety of charitable and civic organizations.
- Partner with the Hondo Independent School District and the Medina Valley Independent School District to support student learning, including Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) programs and local 4-H and Future Farmer’s of America chapters
- Provide a Community Liaison to foster positive open communications with the community
- Maintain a 24/7 community feedback line to respond to questions or concerns
- Participate in community events and support local organizations including chambers of commerce, community and civic organizations
DEDICATED TO SAFETY
Protecting the safety and health of our employees and the surrounding community is Vulcan’s highest priority.
- Provide employees with a safe and healthy work environment
- Conduct frequent and regular reviews of safety practices to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Manage our operations in harmony with our neighbors